Monday, August 17, 2009

ohhh... menopause



This is what they all meant - crackerjack headaches, body temperature altering in 10 seconds or less, volcanic eruptions of emotions and wildly out of control feelings...

My friend noted yesterday that we don't necessarily observe the effects of a powerful supplement until we stop taking it and last night I was lying in bed, sweltering, agreeing with her. For the past two years I have been taking a health food supplement Menosense (this is not a commercial endorsement, really) which was a little expensive and you know, I couldn't really tell you why I took it. I wasn't really having the menopausal symptoms. I thought I must be somehow superior to those other women who suffered so. Hah! My body has made sure that I am humbled. I stopped the Menosense about 2 weeks ago and all of sudden I am no longer friends with the sack of flesh that is my own.

Now, this really doesn't seem fair (I know, I know, the Universe didn't promise that it would be), 35-40 years of menstruation (is this getting too graphic for you guys and women under 35? Sorry, think of it as educational), with all the wonderful euphemisms for that cycle; childbirth, and they really do mean labour to finish that process and the general mistreatment that women have endured for, well, ever! And now this - being held hostage by a traitorous,, uncooperative body and possibly two more years before it is all over and done. Hmphhh - next time? I would like to be reincarnated as a man (or a male cat).

To be fair, I am actually thrilled that I am the age that I am. There is wonderful freedom in being over 50. I am completely looking forward to the next stage of my life. I love being a Grammy (in case you hadn't noticed), appreciate my body (most of the time...) in ways I never thought possible and this sense of perspective that I have gained, wisdom, I presume it would be called is marvelous. I have more fun, I am more at peace and I enjoy simple pleasures that my 20 year old self would have sneered at.

Now about the sudden meltdowns that start at my toes and zoom at light speed to the top of my sweating brow? I am about done with that!

5 comments:

Ruth said...

Oh, I am so with you about loving my age. We are about the same, I think.

And it's ridiculous what women have to live through. Really.

Ok maybe this is TMI, but I had a partial hysterectomy, and so I knew I would go through menopause to some degree. And I have had the sweats very briefly, thank goodness. I hope they don't get worse. But I'm glad to know about this supplement.

So getting back on it, did that take care of the symptoms again?

caroldiane said...

just ordered my next bottle, Ruth. I will let you know, I am hoping the results will be invisible again, so I don't have to think about it!

philly5113 said...

It is wonderful to get to this age. As we embrace and endure the state of being at this midlife stage, we can do more things and even laugh at ourselves without the pride of youth but with the beauty of wisdom.
Hopefully you will resume the menosense and get relief.

Pamela said...

Trust me, I'm all about getting help for menopause. I've been on bioidentical hormones creams for years and I spent a lot of time researching so called natural remedies. I've got some serious reservations about them (check out my post for more: http://seasonedsex.com/natural-menopause-treatment/). Also, they're way more expense than the real hormones...

Smith said...

I found it when I was looking for a different sort of information but I am very interested in the article, It is nice to read such kind of good posts I like your work keep it up!